Is it possible to make a space bigger without structurally knocking down walls? This is something us Interior Designers get asked all the time, so here are my top 5 tips in making a space appear larger
1. Hang your curtains from floor to ceiling. This is an absolute game changer, I can’t even express enough how this little detail totally transforms a space and gives an illusion of space. To further enhance the idea of space, try match up the colour of your curtains to the walls. And if you can, go for sheers. The more light you let through your windows the bigger your space will appear
2. Mirrors mirrors mirrors! Mirrors add depth, expand horizons and are actually one of the easiest ways of making small rooms appear larger. They literally add extra light and make small rooms appear so much bigger!
3. Opt for furniture on legs. Use ‘leggy’ furniture as opposed to blocky furniture on the floor. This creates a sense of lightness and space. It’s all about the illusion….
4. Re-arrange the furniture. If you put things on the angle instead of against a wall, it actually increases the sizeable illusion… clever yes?
5. Stick to unified colours as this will visually expand a room. Go for fabrics and rugs in small prints or plain colors. Oh and another little tip… striped rugs make a small room appear wider and longer!